The Lord has been showing me a lot lately about the topic of fear (e.g., the fear of the Lord, why we fear, and how God wants to deliver us from fear). I preached on this topic several weeks ago, and God revealed how many fears I was personally harboring. He showed me that He really wanted to deliver me from fear. I have the tendency to allow my feelings or intellect to overcome God’s clear teaching about NOT FEARING. I can become fearful about witnessing, coaching leaders, speaking at conferences, etc. God has been showing me that He desires for me to live in freedom from fear. Lately, I’ve found a lot of freedom in just remembering that God doesn’t want me to fear.
Fear is not from Him. Surely, we’re going to be nervous at times, but living in fearfulness is sin. God wants to give us freedom from fear!
Perhaps you fear the possibility of leading a cell group. God wants to help you overcome that fear. Perhaps leading your current cell makes you afraid. God wants to free you. Remember what God says about fear:
- â€œFor you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. ï»¿And by him we cry, Abba, ï»¿Fatherâ€ (Romans 8:15).
- â€œThere is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in loveâ€ (1 John 4:8).
- Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of deathâ€”that is, the devilâ€” and FREE THOSE who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of deathâ€ ï»¿ (Hebrews 2:14-15).
- â€œFor God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-disciplineâ€ (1 Timothy 1:7).
- â€œGod is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. ï»¿ Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the seaâ€ (Psalm 46:1-2).
- â€œï»¿So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right handâ€ (Is. 41:10).
FEAR THOU NOT!