By Joel Comiskey
Jesus changes everything. Christmas, in fact, is all about changed lives:
- The transformation of Zechariah after seeing an angel (Luke 1:11ff)
- Gabriel appearing to Mary and her subsequent praise song (Luke 1: 26ff)
- The babe leaping in Elizabeth’s womb (Luke 1:41)
- The angel appearing to the shepherds in the field (Luke 2:8ff)
- And many more stories of God’s intervention
These stories are etched into our minds because of the way God intervened in history and changed people.
Cell church ministry is also about transformation, how people are being molded into Christ’s disciples.
In my book, Groups that Thrive, I shared this testimony: Greg Harris lives in Washington State. He was ready to commit suicide because his wife divorced him. He felt like a failure. On top of that, he was working day and night, trying to repay a debt from his wife’s custody agreement to support their children. He became very depressed. Then he was injured and began to drink heavily to relieve the pain. He decided it was time to end his life. Tim, a Life-group member, saw Greg’s need, became his friend and encouraged him. Tim invited Greg to his group, where he eventually found the best friend of all-Jesus Christ. Tim personally invited Greg to the group because he knew the people would meet his needs and personally care for Greg. They did. The community of people in the group became a family to him and Greg was transformed.
Here’s another testimony from York Alliance Church: Crystal peppered Kim Cole with hard questions about the Christian faith and Kim had to depend on Jesus for the answers. More than anything, Crystal felt God’s love and friendship through Kim and eventually started attending the Cole’s Life group with her husband Todd. They began to feel part of a new family and eventually received Jesus. Crystal and Todd completed the church-wide equipping track and started leading their own Life group. They are now living the discipleship lifestyle that the Coles have exemplified repeatedly.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 3:8) and just like he did back then, he’s changing lives today.
For the month of December, we’ll share testimonies of God’s wonderful work through house to house ministry. We will only post two weeks of blogs in December and then close down until January 05. If you’d like to receive this blogs in your emails, please click here:
- Week 1: December 1-7: testimony of transformation through the cell-based church (cell, celebration, equipping, coaching)
- Week 2: December 8-14: testimony of transformation through the cell-based church (cell, celebration, equipping, coaching)
Please feel free to share here.