My book How to Lead a Great Cell Group has been a best-selling title for almost two decades. This book highlighted how great cell leaders listen, facilitate, encourage, and so forth. Notice that the focus was on leaders.
But what does it take to be a great cell group member?
Last month we talked about taking the next step in cell ministry. “One step closer to Jesus” applies to every Christian regardless of position in the body of Christ. It’s also true of members.
When Brent first stepped into the home group, he was a mess. He was fearful, nervous, and self-conscious. He was not accustomed to communicating with others and felt like he had little to share. Over the years of sitting in church on Sunday, he had become conditioned to sit, hear, nod his head, talk to a few people after the church worship service, and then go home. He loved Jesus but had little community and interaction with others.
When he first joined the group, everyone noticed his hesitancy. But they loved him, encouraged him, and told him to relax and enjoy himself. Weeks and months passed. Brent soon realized he was in a band of like-minded believers who loved him and had his best interests at heart. He could be transparent with them without feeling judged. The group encouraged him to participate and his confidence grew. Soon he was leading the different parts of the group meeting and even the lesson itself. It became apparent that Brent had a gift of teaching and often used it when sharing. Brent even learned to share his faith as the group went out into the community to pray with those who had needs. Brent rarely missed a meeting and even showed up early. The group became a second family to Brent, and in many ways, a more intimate family.
Brent took specific steps of spiritual growth and became stronger each step of the way. What are some other steps that small group members should take? This is the topic of our blogs for the month of July. Experienced pastors and leaders will write twenty blogs in July on this topic. If you’d like to received these blogs in your email inbox each day, press here. We’ll cover:
- Week 1 (July 01-07) Every member is important. We’ll cover the Scriptural base that we are all part of the body of Christ and member of his family. Cell life enhances this truth because of the intimate atmosphere.
- Week 2 (July 08-14) No blogs during this week
- Week 3 (July 15-21): Growing in community. Some members need to take the step away from gossiping and step toward speaking the truth in love. Other members need to start listening intently or showing up on time.
- Week 4 (July 22-28): Exercising spiritual muscles. Evangelism is an important step in the growth process of becoming like Jesus. Taking the next step in the group involves praying for the empty chair and group outreach activities. Active participation is another step in the spiritual growth process. Taking the next step involves discovering and using one’s spiritual gift in the group.
- Week 5 (July 29-August 04): Completing the equipping and participating in team ministry. Completing the equipping and stepping up into team leadership is an important step for each member. Converting members to leaders is part of the process of moving one step closer to Jesus.
What have you discovered about helping each member take the next step in cell ministry? Please feel free to share here.