by Jeff Tunnell
“We don’t need more instruction, or new information, but we could sure use a good reminder!” This comment was shared last week at a financial seminar we hosted for people looking for help in our troubled financial times. It came at an appropriate time as I was preparing to deliver “Mission 2009”, a message for the direction of our congregation. Prayer, Cells, Missions are the focus. We call our Cells “Lighthouses”.
Prayer: the first work: Your Kingdom Come, Your Will Be Done (Jesus taught us to pray Matthew 6:5-15)
- We will teach, practice, example and gather for prayer in 2009
- We will declare our dependency on God and place hope in no other source of help
- We will see our community prayed over in multiple methods (walks, strategic targets, meetings)
Cells: our local Mission is to “provide a witness for Jesus, in every home and every business, every day”
- We provide equipping and training, a place to belong and to begin growing and serving simultaneously. (salvation, baptism, Lighthouse Family Member connections, pastoral care, ministry to others, service to community, etc)
- We will disciple ourselves, and others in the Lighthouses, and equip each one to influence their “oikos” and beyond
- We will multiply Lighthouse Keepers into every strata of our community
Missions: our trans-local missions “This gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” Matthew 24:14
- We will cooperate in the Great Commission by giving, sending & praying for those with whom we partner (Romans 10:14-15)
- We will give a minimum of 10% of our general income (tithes & offerings) to missions which are involved in accomplishing Matthew 24:14 and Matthew 28:18-20
- We will equip each believer to become a “mission-ary”*, locally and/or trans-locally
* “ary”, suffix meaning “of, or related to”, “person belonging to, connected with, or engaged in”
How do you keep the Cell vision in front of your congregation? Is it random or planned, sporatic or regular? What methods or avenues are implemented? Share your creativity with us on the blog.