Last night, we as a family celebrated our last advent time before Christmas. We read from Luke 2 where the angels felt compelled to share the good news to the shepherds about an extraordinary babe in the manger. After reading the familiar passage, we went around as a family and answered the questions:
1. How has Christ’s birth transformed the world
2. How has Christ’s birth changed our own lives.
We talked about:
- Knowledge: Jesus gave us true knowledge of the Father. He portrayed a loving, caring Father–so different from the impersonal dieties of that time period. Jesus showed us that God is love. In fact, He loved the world so much He came down Himself to die for the sins of the world.
- Purpose: the incarnation, death, and resurrection of Jesus gives us reason to live. Christ’s birth and death sets us free to live holistic, joyful lives. We are not a freak accident of nature. Rather, God has a perfect plan for each of us, and one day we will live forever with Him in heaven.
- Dignity: Christ’s birth among the lowly reminds us that God desires to reach all of His creation. While on earth, Jesus demonstrated his love for the oppressed, the impoverished, the sick, and those on the margins of society. Jesus gave new dignity to women. Christ’s birth gives new new confidence and hope.
Christmas is all about Christ, and we at JCG want to wish a very merry Christmas and happy new year.
Becuase of these important holidays, we will not be blogging for the next two weeks. We will continue this blog on January 05. Enjoy time with you families!
Joel Comiskey and the JCG team,